Three new bras
I have been working on three new bras for my mom for the past two weeks, and finished them yesterday. I sewed a little bit most days, as I have been working quite hard. After a recent positive experience with cutting out five Jalie sweetheart t-shirts in one go and sewing them one after the other (fewer decisions to make - always a good thing for me), I decided to try production-line bra-sewing.
|This is how it started...|
|... and very soon ended up looking like this!|
Despite many many thread changes (I used three different fabrics), I enjoyed working on three bras at once. Instead of finishing one before starting the next, as I did with the t-shirts, I sewed all the cups, then all the bands, and so on. It gave me a chance to use slightly different techniques on each, but also the ease of repetition.
It is odd to realise that little over a year ago I still had to follow step-by-step instructions to make a bra! Now I need only a little post-it note up behind my sewing machine with the basic sequence I follow, just to keep me on track.
I used flesh/nude cotton lycra, taupe Tactel lycra and black cotton lycra. I used the Sewy Rebecca pattern I adjusted for her previously, in size 85B, and also shortened the back band by 1/4" on each side (1/2" in total). I made notes while making the previous "wearable muslins" to remind me of elastic lengths, stitches I used, and so on. (I keep these together in a ring binder - they are turning out to be very useful for repeat sewing of TNTs.) I am very happy with the results. (Click to see larger pics.)
|Nude cotton-lycra bra with stretch lace at cup edge|
|Taupe matte Tactel-lycra bra with decorative straps|
|Black cotton-lycra bra with fold-over elastic edge|