Mix 'n match swim set completed

I am back after a week's holiday on the warm South Coast of KwaZulu-Natal. Before we left, I started working on a raglan rash vest for my daughter (her request). I made it from printed viscose lycra. She chose bright green lycra for the shorts, and I had enough fabric left over to make a little crop top and cheeky pants.


I made the crop top and cheeky pants from patterns I cloned and am very happy how they turned out.

 


My daughter was very happy with the crop top, cheeky pants and long shorts, but complained about the stitching on the rash vest being scratchy. Alas, I have no overlocker, so used a stretch stitch on my Bernina to sew the seams. The stitch, combined with the Metrosene polyester thread I used, made a prickly edge on the outside of the seam. Eventually (just before we left!) I sewed seam binding onto the raglan seams and resewed the side seams with a lightning/sawtooth stitch using woolly nylon in the bobbin. I then removed the old stitching. Next time I will probably sew the lining and lycra separately, so that the lining can form a smooth inside layer next to her skin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment